I offer complete copy editing services, with three levels to choose from.
All edits to your text are made using Microsoft Word’s track changes feature. This allows you to see the original and edited states of your manuscript.
Basic copy editing
This level of editing involves checking the technical apsects of your writing for correctness and consistency. $40 per 10 pages.
- Correct spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and grammar.
- Ensure consistency in spelling, capitalization, punctuation, and hyphenation.
- Ensure consistent use of numbers, numerals, abbreviations, and acronyms.
- Ensure the table of contents matches the manuscript (titles, page numbers).
Medium copy editing
Includes all of the basic copy editing features described above, plus the items below.
This level of editing takes a closer look at the writing itself. Small changes are made to make your writing shine. $50 per 10 pages.
- Ensure consistent word usage throughout the manuscript.
- Ensure correct word usage throughout. For example: the use of in to when into is intended or affect where effect is meant.
- Smooth out confusing or awkward sentences.
- Change passive to active voice (optional).
Heavy copy editing / substantive editing
Includes all tasks in the basic and medium levels described above, plus those described below.
This level of editing reaches beyond the correction of technical elements, consistent usage, and minor sentence adjustments. The text is edited for improved structure and flow. Large portions may be reworked to in order to prepare your manuscript for the best reader experience. $80 per 10 pages.
- Ensure consistent style and tone.
- Eliminate wordiness, triteness, and redundancies.
- Adjust paragraphs for flow, logical structure, and clarity.
- Add or adjust headings for structural consistency, flow, and clarity.
- Fact-check nonfiction.
- Make suggestions for clearer writing, as needed.
- Make suggestions for larger changes (optional).
Please note that these rates assume an average of 300 words per page or a total of 3,000 per 10 pages. Additional words will be edited on a pro-rated basis.
This isn’t editing at all but will help you understand how effective your manuscript is with readers. A beta reader reads your book and makes suggestions from a reader’s perspective.
As a beta reader, I’ll read your book. Then I’ll prepare a report, giving my overall impressions of your book. I’ll also point out typos, grammatical and factual errors, and any inconsistencies I come across (though these are not comprehensive) and will give suggestions for improving your book. No editing is done.
This service will give you a reader’s impression of your book before you send it out to agents or publishers. I offer this service for nonfiction manuscripts. Cost is $150 for manuscripts up to 250 pages.
Want to get started?
If you’d like me to edit your manuscript–or have questions–please get in touch. I look forward to hearing from you!